Instagram has made its foray into the short-form video space with Reels. Launching as a direct competitor to TikTok, the newly launched platform allows users to curate and post creative 15 second videos directly to their Instagram feed.
Reels launched yesterday in more than 50 countries available in both IOS and Android. It’s the latest move from Instagram to keep users on the app and stay for everything from shopping to messaging and the now increasingly popular video entertainment format.
The launch of Reels follows Instagram’s success in borrowing and revamping their competitors formats including the ‘stories’ concept from Snapchat and longer videos through ‘IGTV’ like Youtube.
- Audio: Search for a song from the Instagram music library. You can also use your own original audio by simply recording a reel with it.
- AR Effects: Select one of the many effects in the effect gallery, created both by Instagram and creators all over the world, to record multiple clips with different effects.
- Timer and Countdown: Set the timer to record any of your clips hands-free. Once you press record, you’ll see a 3-2-1 countdown, before recording begins for the amount of time you selected.
- Align: Line up objects from your previous clip before recording your next to help create seamless transitions for moments like outfit changes or adding new friends into your reel.
- Speed: Choose to speed up or slow down part of the video or audio you selected. This can help you stay on a beat or make slow motion videos.
Reels can be recorded in a series of clips (one at a time), all at once, or using video uploads from your gallery. You then have the option to write a caption, choose a cover image, add hashtags and share your video to Reels.
The opportunity for users to utilise Reels and increase their audience is significant, with Instagram emphasising the new format and enticing users, making Reels now front and centre on the Explore page.